Thursday, July 16, 2009

Small town run

I went to Idaho for a visit and knew while I was there I needed to run about 9 miles to stay on track for training. I emailed a childhood friend of mine to see if her and her family would be in Lewisville over the 4th. She said yes and that she was also training for a 1/2! Perfect! I was so excited to catch up with her and have the chance to run with her. She is way faster than me...but she pretended that we were the same pace! Love her! The only time we could run was after the fireworks....which ended up being about midnight! We ran around the main part of town a little more than 2 times....mind you, this is only a town of about 4oo people, so it was totally dead at midnight, but we had a great conversation and it was really great to be with Megan. I was staying with my 89 year old grandma, so when I opened the creaky front door at 1:30 I woke her up. OOPS! I ran to her room as I heard her moving her walker....it's me grandma just coming back from getting some air. So the first thing she said in the morning was....sorry you were uncomfortable last night. (shoot!) Oh, grandma I was actually out running with Megan, i didn't want to worry you. I explained the reasons for the run....She looked at me with a frown and said...."Keirra is that using wisdom!?" I laughed and assured her I was fine. I am not sure if she didn't want me running that far, or running the 1/2 or if she didn't want me to be out so late. Either way...I am totally using that on my kids....."Is that using wisdom?" Grandma is a faithful, strong person who I can learn from. In December she will be 90! She told me that her patriarical blessing said something like..... if you remain faithful you will be blessed in your short life, she laughs at that and can only assume that "short" meant short in an eternal perspective.

6 comments:

  1. I love the story about your grandma! And WOW, woman... I'm impressed! You are awesome for just going for it with these races, I admire that a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are amazing! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm chuckling about the Grandma story. Poor thing. She may not be able to see worth anything, but her ears are as alert as ever!

    Good luck on the running - you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh Grandma, nothing gets by her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. funny experience re: your sweet grandma & impressed for your dedication to training:) i'm getting serious re: Leavenworth-which one are you doing=narrows? feels even better after you're done!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh I LOVE your grandma! I need to remember that line to, it is priceless! I had so much fun running with you and miss you much!

    ReplyDelete